Sunday, August 31, 2008

Like sex in your mouth.


Well that's what Jaylene said this cake was like. Yes, my baking (and pregnant) friend Jaylene gave me this recipe and said it was so good, it's like sex in your mouth. Obviously I like food, so this was something I had to try. I brought it to a social last night and it pretty much got inhaled.

Apple Cake
1 c. butter, softened
2 1/4 c. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4-5 c. coarsely chopped and peeled apples
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped pecans1 c. chopped pecans (I skipped the nuts because I was unsure of people with allergies)

Icing (optional - I didn't make this)
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon-apple extract
2 tbsp. milk
1c chopped pecans

In large bowl cream butter with 2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir together the 2 1/2 cups flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in vanilla.

In a medium bowl, stir together apples, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the 2 tablespoons flour. Fold into batter. Spoon batter into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan (Pyrex works best for me). Smooth with spatula.

In medium bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in nuts if using them. Sprinkle this mixture over batter in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (i did only 45 but ovens vary) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack.

Make a glaze of powdered sugar, cinnamon-apple extract and milk. Drizzle over cake...Only if you choose.

Note: I used frozen fresh apples that have been partially defrosted in the ziploc bag from Jaylene's mom's tree, it helps make the batter and then the baked cake more moist.

Try not to eat this whole cake yourself. You should probably share it, your waistline will thank you.

No comments: